Saturday, February 1, 2014

How to Make A Yule Log



Hi! Today let's talk yule logs. I have been by asked by a few people how I make them. They are pretty easy to make and if you have a saw, a drill, a sander, and a dremel, you can make them too. 
***Please note: I do not have a drill press. I normally drill by placing the logs in a vice and then drilling by hand. For the yule logs, I have found it is easier for me to keep the logs on the floor using my boots to hold the logs steady. Now, I know this is not the safest or smartest thing I could be doing, but, it works for me. My boots have been "accidentally tested" and the drill didn't leave a mark. But, please do as I say and not as I do. If you have a safe way to drill, I would suggest you do that. :) 

Ok, now that I got that business taken care of, here is how I make yule logs:

Step 1 - Get some logs and cut them to the length you would like. I usually cut mine between 10" and 14", but use whatever size you like.




Step 2 - Sand the bottom so it is flat. It is much easier to drill the holes when the logs are not rolling around.

Step 3 - I place the candles where I think they will look good and mark where to drill.


Step 4 - Remember - I do not have a drill press, so this is how I do this. Do not do this! Ok, now that I have lectured you on safety again, drill the holes. 



Step 5 - I have found that the yule logs produce A LOT of wood shavings. I mean A LOT! 


Step 6 - Once the holes are drilled, I use my dremel to clean up the sides of the holes so they are smooth. It also helps if you want the holes to be bigger.


Step 7 - Once you are done, whaaa-laaa! You have two yule logs. I love these and think they are so pretty. I hope you do too.


P.S. My drill tends to get pretty hot. So, when I am letting it cool down, sometimes I get bored sitting around and waiting, so I make sawdust "art". Here are two for you. 


Well, that is all I have for tonight. I hope you are having a great time making and creating new things. I love to create and love to stay busy - here's to lots of creativity for all of us! 

Cindy Breninger
Deerwood Creek Gifts

www.etsy.com/Shop/DeerwoodCreekGifts
www.facebook.com/DeerwoodCreekGifts
www.pinterest.com/CindyBreninger

No comments: